Thursday, June 24, 2010

Pho Hang Restaurant - 30921 Dequindre Road, Madison Heights, MI 48071-2287 - (248) 583-9210

General thoughts - I'll update it with a picture the next time I go because I can't seem to find one online and they don't have an online menu. This restaurant is the real deal. A good indication is that all the ads on the bulletin board are in Vietnamese, there's a long video about Vietnamese and its culture constantly looping, most of the guests are Vietnamese, and most of the staff speak enough English to take your order and that's it. It's about $7 or $8 for a large bowl of Pho and it never disappoints. Their menu is big enough as it is which also includes Chinese dishes, but I have to give them lots of extra kudos for constantly trying to expand their menu. They started serving Vietnamese sandwiches and hot lunches to go where you get to pick and choose specifically what you want. And that's all Vietnamese food too. They added bubble tea, juices, etc.

Foods tasted - #22 (Spring rolls), #25 (the Pho that has all the different meats in it)

Thoughts -

1. #22 - Spring rolls - I only order a half order (2) when I go alone. It comes with a tangy sauce for dipping. I'm not 100% sure of everything that's in it, but I did notice vermicelli (glass noodles), carrots, pork. They're done perfectly every time and are always burn-your-tongue fresh off the fryer. The skin is always golden brown. Love them!

2. #25 - Large bowl of Pho - The actual name is in Vienamese so I basically order by number because the menu does describe the ingredients in English and I do know what Pho is. The broth (which I'm convinced it's beef) was delicious. I do usually add a bunch of hoisin sauce and Sriracha sauce (garlic hot sauce with flecks of hot pepper seeds) into my broth to give it an extra kick. It comes with pieces of brisket, raw beef (ends up cooked because it's in the hot broth), meatballs, pre-cooked beef, and tripe. They also provide you with a dish of raw bean sprouts, a lime wedge, a couple of small hot peppers, and springs of basil in case you want to add those in your Pho as well. Since the beef (all different cuts) are thin slices, tenderness is never an issue. The meatballs are pre-made that you buy in a package if you were in a Chinese grocery store.

Final Thoughts - Very Yummy in My Tummy? Oh yeah! Will I go back? Every chance I get when I'm in the Troy/Madison Heights area. It's located at a strip mall in the Southwest corner of Dequindre Road and 13 Mile Road. If you love ramen noodles, this is basically an upgrade of that. Since I don't go there very often, I always order the same thing, but maybe someday I'll try something else. But somehow I got a feeling I'll regret not order my #22 and #25 regardless of how good the new dish is.

No comments:

Post a Comment