Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Southeast Asian (SEA) Restaurant - 741 Monroe Ave, Rochester, NY 14607 - (585) 473-8031

Sorry, can't locate a menu.

General thoughts - It's not in the greatest neighborhood but it felt safer than the other Vietnamese place my brother was going to bring us to. It's at a great location though as far as visibility as it's on the corner of a main street. The restaurant is small and only has about 15 tables in it but it was a busy evening for them. The unpretentious decor is reflected in the prices. My mom commented that all the decorations are Thai, which I agreed. But honestly, the same people that say all Asians look alike are not going to be able to tell the difference so I'll chalk that up as part of the charm of the place. The portions truly are huge.

Foods tasted - Fried squid, #10 (I can't pronounce it. It's like the house special Pho that has tripe, brisket, rare beef, meat balls, etc), Iced coffee with condensed milk.

Thoughts -

Fried squid - I like the salt and pepper taste. It's mostly tentacles, so the pieces tend to be slightly tougher. But that's fine with me, because it's a nice change of pace from the calamari rings from the body that we get in most restaurants.

#10 - The noodles were a bit tough when it was first served so I let it sit in the delicious beef broth before digging into it to soften them up some more. I tasted the soup before adding a bunch of sauces in it to sweeten and spice it up. The soup was very fresh tasting and according to my mom, who is an excellent cook and very sensitive to MSG, she said she can tell the broth is the real deal, not from some packet. As with any pho dish, they give you a plate of bean sprouts, sprigs of basil leaves, wedges of lime, and little peppers so you can dress it to your liking. I decided to add some bean sprouts, basil, and a little lime juice to make it more authentic. Those extra flavors do add something else to a otherwise bowl of noodles with meat.

Iced coffee with condensed milk - This is a classic Vietnamese/Thai drink. It's like espresso, but instead of a little cup the size of a shot glass, it's served in a highball with some condensed milk in the bottom to help cut the bitterness. My dad thought I wasn't going to be able to sleep at all, but it didn't surprise me I slept like a rock because I was so tired from the festivities.

Final thoughts - Very yummy in my tummy? Yes. Would I go back? If I for some reason visit Rochester again, sure. It definitely hit the spot and satisfied my cravings. If only there are more Vietnamese restaurants closer to Dearborn. Madison Hts is pretty far for Pho, but writing this makes me want some for lunch. Hmmmm... pho....

No comments:

Post a Comment