Monday, April 26, 2010

Jim's Place Family Dining - 13245 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI 48126 - (313) 584-5437

General comments - Jim's Place is a very unassuming local gem that has been there for over 37 years. I didn't think I could find a good Polish restaurant outside of Hamtramck but there it was, right in Dearborn. It's like having a Polish mom cook for you - it's just that good!

Foods tasted - Polish combo with Kielbasa, Beef barley soup, cabbage soup.

Thoughts -

1. Beef barley soup / cabbage soup - delicious and hearty. Both seasoned very well.  They serve that at least twice weekly as their Daily Soups. Add on 37 years of experience, they have these recipes down pat. The cabbage soup could use a little salt today, but it's not necessarily a bad thing if someone is looking for a soup that has less sodium in it because of health reasons or whatnot.

2. Polish combo with Kielbasa (2 pierogies, stuffed cabbage, mashed potatoes, kielbasa, sauerkraut) - all I have to say is wow! The kielbasa was perfectly done. I really think the score marks made a huge difference, and somehow even by trial and error I can never make mine turn out like that. The stuffed cabbage was great as well. I'm glad the tomato sauce on it wasn't too tart, because that can distract a person from fully enjoying the stuffed cabbage. I am a huge fan of this stuffed cabbage. Again, with their experience, I would not even dare to suggest to make any changes in that recipe. Pierogies were perfectly cooked. They're obviously handmade because you can tell from their individually unique shapes. Some places make their pierogies with really thick skin so that it can taste kind of doughy, but Jim's pierogies are just right. Mashed potatoes are "eh". Not 100% sure if it's homemade (vs. from a box), but it's eh. Sauerkraut is good too, but it's what you would expect in sauerkruat - picked cabbage.

Final thoughts - Very yummy in my tummy? Oh yes. This is the type of meal that induces food coma. Would I go there again? Of course. My only wish is that I had discovered this place sooner. The menu extends beyond Polish food of course. But seriously, if the owners had intended for this restaurant to be a glorified diner with some Polish food, they wouldn't specifically put the words Polish food under their name on the awning for everyone to see. Prices are unbeatable. At a grand total of $7.95 for the Polish combo with Kielbasa, I have more than enough leftovers for another meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment