Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Carter's Restaurants - 22990 Outer Dr, Dearborn, MI 48124 - (313) 277-9033



General thoughts - I love these types of restaurants where it's all counter seating. The whole building, inside and out, is white.You know everyone that works there and they know you. There are always the regulars that are there every morning by 8am and do not leave until almost 11am. There's something comforting about walking in and seeing the same people. Carter's used to be a chain but are now individually owned and operated. The first picture is the outisde. As you can see, the window has the sign for cheap (and yummy) burgers. The second and third pictures show the interior.




Foods tried - Breakfast Special, Cheese omelette, Fried egg sandwich, Cheeseburger, Fries, Boston cooler, Strawberry malt

Thoughts -

1. Breakfast Special - It is only available until 11am, and at $3.25, you can't beat the price for what you get - 2 eggs any style, hash browns, 2 slices of bacon, 2 slices of buttered toast. With a nice hot cup of coffee, you can't ask for a better start for your day. I guess this is one of those seemingly foolproof meals that any diner makes, but maybe it's the taste left on the grill from years of cooking on it that makes this Breakfast Special better than the others. I've been to places where the hash browns aren't cooked through, and this place definitely knows how to cook a breakfast properly (if that made sense at all). As you can see from the picture, it's actually a "reenactment" of what it actually looks like. The spots on my knife isn't junk leftover from the previous user of the knife but from me taking a couple bites of the food before I remembered to take the picture. And you can see I also "rearranged" the toast so the piece that I already ate half of is in the bottom. I would think that's a excellent proof that it's very delicious.


2. Cheese omelette - Another yummy offering from Carter's. This time I remembered to take the picture before I started to eat it. I also enjoyed this a lot because the eggs are not rubbery like some omelettes can be. Omelettes seem easy to make but it is an art and I cannot tell you how many times I've tried and failed. As you can see, it also comes with hash browns, 2 slices of bacon, and buttered toast. The bacon is well done and brittle to the touch like I asked for it. It's just my preference.



3. Fried egg sandwich - One day I decided to be adventurous and I thought I'd try something new just for once. The fried egg sandwich, however, doesn't come with bacon. It is exactly what it is, fried egg in between 2 slices of extra heavily buttered toast. I did order bacon separately that time so i can make a bacon and fried egg sandwich. I love when the eggs are cooked over easy because of the taste of the toast and egg yolks together when the yolk breaks. There's just something deliciously satisfying about that.

4. Cheeseburger - I think the cheeseburger is pretty good for the price. The patty isn't the biggest, but it is cooked right. Topped with some grilled onion (you have to ask for it), it's actually quite yummy. Being the experienced cooks that they are, of course all the burgers are cooked to order. If you order it deluxe, it come with fries and coleslaw.

5. Fries - Carter's serve skinny fries. You would think it's easier to burn those becaue they're so thin but they make some dang good fries - Crispy on the outside, fluffy on the inside. It's not expensive and you get a healthy portion of it.

6. Boston cooler - This is one of the easiest drinks to make and yet I've never had it until I was 28 years old. It is literally a generous scoop of vanilla ice cream topped with Vernor's (similar to a root beer float). I've had it with regular and diet Vernor's and they both taste good. It is an awesome summer drink. The simplicity of this drink makes me smile. :-)

7. Strawberry malt - This is the reason you go to a place such as Carter's. Although these have become more common over the years and served in various chain restaurants, the ones that come from soda fountain shops like Carter's just seem to taste better. Maybe because of the nostalga factor? Either way, they're served in the very recognizable cone shaped glasses and you are given the leftovers. Love it!

Final thoughts - Was it Very Yummy in My Tummy? Yes. Will I be coming back? The short answer is yes. The long answer is that this is one of those restaurants I like coming back to again and again because the food is good and it's something I don't want to see go away. It is an institution to the area. This restaurant has been there for well over 50 years, I would love for it to be here for another 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment