Wednesday, September 8, 2010

O'Sushi Japanese Restaurant - 22431 Michigan Ave, Dearborn, MI (313) 562-4166

Again, no picture. If you Google map it, it still shows the old gelato place that was there before O'Sushi.

General thoughts - I've been there at least a hundred times and I always leave very satisfied. It is at a great location with an attached parking lot, whereas their competition (less than 2 blocks away) is at the corner of a big street but the parking situation is hideous. O'Sushi is known for their very innovative an appetizing rolls. They of course have the standards - Spicy tuna, Philadelphia, Spider, etc. But it also has a lot to choose from that is far from the ordinary. They has an O'Sushi roll that is wrapped in cucumber slices instead of your standard seaweed, they have a White Christmas roll that is baked and is top is treated with a blowtorch. The possibilities are endless. They also have the standard udon, teriyaki, tempura, and even some Korean dishes which are really yummy as well.

Foods tasted - Unagi Nigiri (eel sushi), Chicago roll (has multiple kinds of fish in it), Spicy scallop roll, Philadelphia roll, Yum yum roll (deep fried and has avocado, cream cheese and other things in it), Tempura udon.

Update on 9/8 - here's a picture of all the rolls + nigiri minus the yum yum roll (will add it the next time I eat it) From top to bottom - Chicago roll, Philadelphia roll, tuna avacado roll, salmon roe nigiri, unagi nigiri, salmon nigiri

Thoughts

1. Philadelphia roll - I like that it is made with raw salmon instead of smoked salmon like other places does. Not that it's expensive to begin with, but the raw fish makes it worth the cost. Since it's made with the same salmon that they use in the nigiri, needless to say the salmon in this roll is very fresh.

2. Tuna avacado roll - We were just looking for something simple, and since neither of us are crazy about cucumbers, this is perfect. The tuna is blood red (which indicates freshness) as I would expect from O'Sushi and the avacado is also fresh.

3. Salmon roe nigiri - This is one of my favorites. I know it sounds kind of cruel that I feel like I'm eating Nemo's cousins, but strangely I like that fishy salty taste. As with "grown" salmon, the eggs are suppose to be bright orange (which they were). O'Sushi is also pretty generous with the amount of salmon roe it puts into the salmon roe nigiri which I like a lot.

4. Salmon nigiri - I know I'm totally just rehashing this, but I cannot stress enough how fresh this restaurants' fish are. I know this is just a piece of salmon and rice, but bad sushi really does leave a bad taste in your mouth. This one is far from it.


Thoughts -

1. Unagi Nigiri - John and I both love the eel sushi with the sweet sauce on top. The eel is cooked and delicious. There's really no need to dip in the soy sauce, but I love soy sauce. And of course with lots of wasabi.

2. Chicago roll - It's a great value for $9.95. 4 types of fish inside seaweed and rice into 8 pieces. The chefs do not skimp on the fish, and each fish taste really fresh - which is the key for all sushi. There's no fancy sauce or anything that's on top on it or in it, it's a roll that is for people looking to fully enjoy the raw fish and nothing else. It is one of our new favorites.

3. Spicy scallop roll - It's an 8 piece roll with fresh scallops mixed with masago (smelt roe), topped with a spicy mayo. It has a nice little kick to it, I like it. It's always nice to be able to have something as simple as spicy scallop that features 1 item to go with the fancy Chicago roll that has everything but the kitchen sink in it.



4. Yum yum roll - It looked interesting so we had to try it. It happens to be on sale as well, so that never hurts. The deep frying had melted the cream cheese a bit and it made it sweeter than when it's cold, so that's a pleasant surprise. It does have avocado in it and it was fresh (not mushy).

5. Tempura udon - This is one of my all time favorites. It's a large bowl of noodles in a hot broth with 2 tempura battered fried shrimps and 2 slices of tempura battered yams. SOOO GOOD! I especially love this dish in the winter when it's freezing outside it really warms me up. They give you a red pepper flakes type season to go with it in case you like the broth spicy. I like it when the shrimps and yam have been sitting in the soup for awhile and the batter starts to break off. The batter carries a little bit of taste from the shrimps and yam which seasons the noodles. However, I think the next time I go, I'm going to tell them to put the tempura stuff on the side because I want to have the option of eating them while crunchy if I happen to be in the mood for it. But I order this every time I go almost without fail.




Final thoughts - Yummy In My Tummy? For sure. If it wasn't, I wouldn't keep going back. Their staff is super friendly and they know me by name and vice versa. They do have a liquor license, so I suppose if you want to drink a JD while eating sushi, you can (although I don't recommend it). They do have sake. Once again, I passed out after the huge meal. Surprise surprise!

No comments:

Post a Comment