Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Priya Restaurant & Bar - 36600 Grand River Avenue, Farmington, MI 48335-2916 - (248) 615-7700


General Thoughts - This restaurant came at a high recommendation from John's Indian coworkers. They said this restaurant is better than Ashoka in Canton, so we had no choice but to try it out. It's on Grand River Ave right in the heart of the Farmington Hills/Novi area where a lot of restaurants are. Here's their menu. The restaurant is really big, it even has a second level. The decorations are really nice, and provides a good ambiance. But since we went on a weeknight it was really quiet. There were only a few more tables other than us. While I was hoping to try something slightly different, my main reason to be here is to compare its food to Ashoka's food.

Foods tasted - Mango lassi, Vegetable Samosa, Gosht (lamb) Vindaloo

Thoughts -

1. Mango lassi - Honestly, not much to compare here. I ordered it because mango is my favorite fruit. It's a mango smoothie, it's hard to mess it up. The only way this would be a "bad" lassi is if the mango wasn't fresh.

2. Vegetable Samosa - These samosas were as good as Ashoka's. There was nothing about it so spectacular that would make me choose the samosa at Priya over the ones at Ashoka.

3. Gosht (lamb) Vindaloo - This is where I decided to stray from the one dish I've become very familiar with (Lamb Koorma). There's nothing about this dish I didn't love - spiciness, potatoes, lamb, vinegar. I knew this was going to be a winner. The portion is very similar in size to the same dish at Ashoka. The lamb was tender and the potatoes were cooked through. I will say that Lamb Koorma now has a contender the next time I sit down in front of an Indian restaurant's menu.

Final thoughts - Was it Very Yummy In My Tummy? Yes. Will I go back? Honestly, living where I live, and seeing that I didn't honestly find something so spectacular that I would specifically return for, I'll probably end up at Ashoka more often simply because of distance and time to get there. Perhaps we ordered the really common Americanized Indian dishes and that's why I didn't think there was anything super special. But it's definitely worth a try.

1 comment:

  1. The Mango Lassi is also good if you decided to try the hot spicy food. It helps bringing down the heat.

    ReplyDelete