Monday, July 19, 2010

Ashoka Indian Cuisine - 2100 Haggerty Rd, Canton, MI 48187 - (734) 844-3100

General thoughts - Honestly, I never thought I would enjoy ever Indian food since my previous bad experiences with Indian lunch buffets. But I decided to give that another run, and I've now been here at least 2 times within the last year and I am a believer. Indian food is soooo good, I'm sad that I didn't discover that sooner. And here is their menu.

Foods tasted - Mango Lassi, Vegetable Samosa, Lamb Koorma, Hydrabadi chicken Biryani, Lamb Kadai

Thoughts -

Mango Lassi - essentially a mango shake but with more yogurt so it's smoother. I'm biased because I love mango and all forms of mango shakes and lassi they can whip up. Perfect for a cool down from spicy food.

Vegetable Samosa - large and deep fried  potato dumpling thing  that also has some peas and other finely chopped veggies in it. It's potato and deep fried, it doesn't get better than that considering there's no meat in it.

Lamb Koorma - I got this every time I've been here. It's lamb in a nutty tasting curry sauce (says so in the menu). I got it at the medium spice level, but I wonder if that's the real "medium" or the non-Indian medium because I thought it was pretty mild. Then again, I love spicy food so maybe that's why I didn't think it was that hot. It comes with a separate plate of white rice and it's so good to mix it all together. Since there's an ample amount of sauce, you can dip your naan it it and eat it that way. It's so good. And just as expected, the lamb was very tender.

Hydrabadi chicken Biryani - the first thing that comes to mind is the huge portion and for the same price as Lamb Koorma ($13.95). Since the only biryani I can compare with is the one I got from a liquor store down in Taylor which I was told wasn't technically the real thing, I would have to say it's very good. Ordering Biryani at an Indian restaurant is kind of like ordering chicken fried rice at a Chinese restaurant, but the biggest difference is the spices used in it.

Lamb Kadai - the curry is closer what most people think curry tastes like. The only reason I didn't order this dish is because it has green peppers in it. My friend John said it was good. I did taste it and from what I did taste I enjoyed it (again minus the green peppers).

Final thoughts - Very Yummy in My Tummy? Always. Will I ever go back? How about tonight? Both my boyfriend John and another friend John works with a large amount of Indian people and they recommended that we try this place. Prices aren't that high at all. Since there's a movie theater close by, this would be a great place to eat at before a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment